Saturday, May 25, 2013

Remembering Mahatma Gandhi on His Death Anniversary


Mahatma Gandhi on his death bed

On my last trip to Gujarat and on my way to Dwarka from Diu, I stopped by Porbandar to visit revered Mahatma Gandhi's birth place.

Mahatma Gandhi's ancestral house

Porbandar is a small town, just like any other Indian three-tier city. As I entered the city, I continuously had images from the cult movie 'Gandhi' directed by Attenborough, flashing in front of my eyes. Since childhood, I have been fascinated by Gandhi's lifestyle and his ideology. I admire him not only for what he did for his country but also how he did it.

On entering Porbandar, I was surprised or rather disappointed to notice that there was no sign of any of Gandhi's picture or the mention of his name anywhere. Throughout Gujarat, one gets to see the respect for respected Patel but hardly of Gandhi.


In entire Porbandar, the only place where I saw Gandhi's statue was right outside his house at a circle.

Well, why Gandhi is not so famously popular in his own state of birth is another topic of discussion and though I have much to say about it, I leave it for some other time. As of today, lets just pay our homage to the great man who gave us what we needed the most - peaceful independence.

These are some of the pictures that I clicked during my visit to his place, which is now like a museum of his pictures.

To begin with, let me first show you the picture of Mahatma Gandhi's birth place. In his house, the exact place where the man first saw the world is marked with a Swastik, holy sign in Hindu mythology.
The exact place where Gandhiji was born
The picture that comes to one's notice upon going upstairs in his ancestral house where his pictures are kept is this one -

Gandhiji with Kasturba in their younger years; photo taken in 1914
These are couple of other pictures that I captured.


One of the last photographs of Mahatma Gandhi; he was walking to a prayer meeting at Birla House- Delhi; Photo taken on 29th Jan, 1948

Gandhiji with Charlie Chaplin; photo taken in London, 1931

Gandhiji with 6 yrs old Indira Gandhi; photo taken in 1924



Jinnah and Gandhiji in Mumbai in September 1944



Gandhiji's last prayer at Birla House, 29th Jan, 1948

0 comments:

Post a Comment